We updated Kokua to upstream version 4.0.2 on March 29, 2016. Since then SecondLife (SL) updated to:
The HTTP Client Release is mainly under the hood, but is significant in the amount of code touched. In addition to SL code merges, Kokua over time has taken in code from Firestorm. For those changes we have taken in additional code from Firestorm to provide the HTTP Client updates. Nicky Dasmijn led Firestorm’s efforts and Kokua would likely be stuck in the poke-at-it stage if not for her work. Thank you Nicky D.
The Maintenance Release is just that, a series of bug fixes and minor enhancements.
QuickGraphics provides two features; Graphics Presets and Avatar Rendering Complexity Controls. These features come with User Interface (UI) changes that will require a learning curve to master. Inara Pey, ( @InaraPey), and Nalates Urriah, (@Nalates) have blogged about QuickGraphics since its inception as an SL project viewer. Linked to their names are Inara’s and Nalates’ posts. Please review their posts.
Our downloads location has installers with RLV and NORLV in the file names. The RLV build can be used in RLV mode or vanilla mode. In “vanilla mode” the RLV build acts just like the NORLV build by skipping over RLV-specific logic or by executing corresponding plain SL upstream logic instead. The logic of the skipping mechanism (for the technically inclined: “if”-statements wrapping RLV-specific code sections) itself has to be executed in either mode, but should be negligible in performance. NORLV installers deliver viewers that are ~99% free of RLV viewer specific code. There is some code developed by Marine Kelley in her RLV viewer that is not specific to RLV features. Those non-RLV-feature related changes in the RLV viewer make up the remaining ~1% of code from RLV viewer included in both our builds and enabled whether in RLV or vanilla mode. NORLV builds provide a fallback in case of illness or other unexpected events that prevent timely updates to RLV. At present NORLV is not delivered as a release viewer. Users may use test viewers in those cases where there is moral objection to RLV or for any other reason. NORLV is where all developmemt first takes place. For Kokua-4.0.5 RLV code remains at upstream version 2.09.17.
Kokua has no formal Quality Assurance (QA) and we rely on our users to run test viewers and report back and, depending on the problem, file a Ticket. The lack of formal QA is a blessing of frequent releases and a curse of buggy releases.
We need testers for this release. Especially for RLV viewers in both RLV on and vanilla modes. We need to know if Avatar Complexity interferes with RLV visibility restrictions.
For OpenSim (OS) users we have found that HTTP Client code crashes with teleport (TP) on grids that use unmodified OpenSim code. These crashes seem not present on OSGrid and 3rdRock grids that make use of HTTP for asset delivery. This concern and the pending Inventory Message changes in both the viewer and SL server have us considering a split from the one viewer for all approach.
Geir Nøklebye is lead on this split and all can monitor his work on Bitbucket . Kokua-opensim does not rely on upstream merges. Most all changes are cherry-picked from various repositories. As we progress test viewer installers will begin to appear with “_OS_” in the installer name. We haven’t determined a version number scheme yet, but we will not have the version number match the SL version for the same functionally. For now, the version begins with 4.0.2 our branch off point. As we progress, we will provide follow-up blog posts. This is a work in progress and if we are able to solve the TP issue and the Inventory Message changes are not as difficult to make as expected we may decide to stick with the “one viewer for all” approach.
Known SL appearance bugs that affect all versions of Kokua code.
Swapping between different wearables too quickly using “Wear” causes old wearables not to be removed from being worn when they should be – only reproduces on the Attachment fix/AIS3 viewers.
Appearance update is STILL broken after recent changes in 4.0.4 (314579)