There won’t be any Experimental Week this week, while we work on several key issues with the media system. In the meantime, I highly recommend giving 10.23 a try. Also, if you feel like helping out we’re looking for volunteers for our support team! Cheers!
Archive for October, 2010
We are looking for friendly volunteer people to help our users in forums, IRC, and inworld groups on as many grids as possible. We need people with a good technical background, that can file bug reports or help users in any ways they can. Multilingual people would be most than welcome, and obviously, a good technical background about the usual viewer issues would be a plus.
Please contact CodeBastard Redgrave if you would be interested to help. I can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your avatar name(s) and on which grid(s) you can help, languages you can speak, your usual availabilities, and your platform (Win, Mac, or Linux).
Looking forward to hear from you!
- Imported Qarl’s prim align tool:
- Added two new options in Preferences > Fonts to adjust font sizes. (Note: increasing the font size too much may cause some parts of the UI to mess up or look bad.)
- Updated script editor tooltips to match OpenSim 0.7.
- Added more German translations from Eryn.
- Fixed the mouse not being able to interact with the world after using snapshot freeze frame.
- Several fixes and improvements to make HTTP texture fetching more reliable.
- Fixed the options in Preferences > Communicate being grayed out when the server doesn’t send you some information (i.e. on OpenSim).
- Viewer no longer prints out a useless debugging callstack when it exits normally, only when there is a problem.
- Fixed some miscellaneous debug warnings.
- Mac version now defaults to compiling with SSE3 and SSE4, GCC-4.2, and the OS X 10.5 SDK.
- Viewer no longer pops up a Vivox agreement window on your first login if you are logging in to a non-SL grid.
- Changed some modal alerts in Preferences to “blue box” notifications instead.
If you have any issues with this release, please post them in the official forum thread. Thank you.
There are a lot of important updates in this release. This will be our last Experimental until some big fixes/features come your way, so hopefully you guys give it a good run-through so we have a good base to compare things with. Remember: you can install the Experimentals side-by-side with the main release, they’re entirely optional.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We changed the location and name of the settings file for Experimental to avoid any conflict with the regular stable Imprudence settings file. Unfortunately that means re-doing your settings for Experimental as if it was freshly installed. You will only have to do this once as the change is permanent.
Here’s what’s new this week:
- Added support for viewing Photoshop (PSD) and TIFF files as Local Textures on Macs.
- Added support for direct uploads of Photoshop (PSD) and TIFF files on Macs.
- The tools window now lists the link number of a selected prim when Edit Linked Parts is enabled.
- Teleport History now has a “Clear History” button.
- Friendship requests now show a “Profile” button, allowing you to view the profile of the person offering friendship.
- Several new easter eggs. Gotta catch them all!
- RLVa has been updated to 1.1.2. This should fix all the RLVa issues people have been having.
- Fixed crash when uploading non-powers of two images on Macs.
- Fixed #593: buy currency button overlaps amount when you become a millionaire.
- Fixed #628: tab completion on names isn’t setting the cursor to a useful position.
- Fixed #526: screen_last.bmp created in the root directory.
- Fixed #634: name/owner not showing up in abuse reports.
- Fixed several compile issues on Linux.
- Fixed terrain textures rendering as “rainbow” when terrain detail is set to Low.
- Fixed the “Apply” button not working as expected in the profile window.
- Fixed the WindLight toolbar not selecting the right preset when first opened.
- Inventory is no longer auto-fetched on login since the loading stops after a teleport. You can reenable the old behavior with the FetchInventoryOnLogin debug setting.
- Fixed a memory leak in llcommon/llstring.h.
- Fixed #77: urls in group notices not being clickable.
- Spell check is no longer enabled in the script editor.
- The Experimentals now use their own cache directory and settings files. This fixes settings issues when switching between the main release and the Experimental, such as cache clearing.
- Accuracy of the texture spinners has been increased. Should make texturing objects a lot easier.
- Python 2.7 can now be detected on Windows. This needs some testing if anyone’s up for it.
- Avatar bakes now always use UDP instead of trying HTTP first.
- Included more information about the GCC version being used.
- Macs now use CoreGraphics when uploading textures, bypassing the viewer’s internal classes.
- Windows now uses multi-core compiling by default.
- Inworld audio streams may crash when being changed, still. We’re workin’ on it.
If you have any issues with this release, please post them in the official forum thread. Thank you.
We are all giddy to bring you Imprudence Experimental 2010.10.09. A few very nice comfort features, several cool interface changes especially with fonts and the minimap that will make some people happy, and a flock of bug and crash fixes! Note that several big new features are coming next 2 weeks, critical ones, so please be patient. Of course, as this is an experimental build, please report any bugs or issues in the proper forum thread.
- Implemented friends tags highlighting, including Preferences->General checkbox to enable/disable the feature. The font on the tags is rendered in bold when the option is active.
- Preview temporary textures on upload (by Henri Beauchamp).
- Enable building on any parcel if the agent has create powers in the land group. If the land is deeded the object is created with the agent active group, else it’s set to the land group by default. Also enables the build button when it should.
- Reduced the minimum size of the minimap
- Reduced the max width and height for the snapshot window to hopefully lower the crash rate a little
- Removed the base SL version from the About Imprudence floater.
- Use integer font sizes to avoid blurriness on some systems.
- Tiny layout tweaks to accommodate different font widths.
- Removed persist for HighResSnapshot setting as it causes crash loops when enabled and opening the snapshot window with bad settings
- Fixed (again) how libjpeg is found on Mac. (#256/#464)
- Possible fix for an infinite loop in LLTextureCache.
- Fixed #157: Group lists get merged after logging into multiple grids
- Fixed RezWithLandGroup not working when shift-dragging prims (from Henri Beauchamp and the Cool Viewer)
- Fixed SL TOS not loading and causing users to be blocked there or crash
- Fix RED-603: Errors when loading local images
- Fix bug #611: Context menu spell checker suggestions broken.
- Allow build under Mac OS X 10.6 SDK by removing deprecated things.
- RED-429: Link against prebuilt libraries / always use gtk-related system libs (linux)
- Fix bug #612: Option to highlight misspeld words doesn’t persist between sessions.
- Don’t leak SpellMenuBind structs when destroying LLLineEditor/LLTextEditor objects.
We tend to use this blog for more official postings, but I just wanted to express my personal gratitude to everyone who donated this week to help me get a new development machine. In under 24 hours, the money was raised, and I’m both awed and humbled by your support. From the bottom of my heart, it’s appreciated.
The new computer–which I’ve nicknamed “Impy”–should arrive Monday afternoon, and I’ll be sure to post pictures once it does! (Sadly, I couldn’t find one in purple.) Until then, thanks again. You guys are the reason we do this
At long last, Imprudence 1.3.0 is available! This is the culmination of a year of development effort, and boy are we glad to finally get it released! It doesn’t have all the shiny new features that the Experimentals do, but this is still an important milestone in the Imprudence development roadmap.
This release contains many bug fixes and other polish compared to 1.3.0 RC3. If you are using 1.2 or any of the 1.3 RCs or betas, we encourage you to upgrade to this new release. If you are currently using the Experimentals, there’s no need for you to download this release.
As always, we ask that you post your feedback in the forums. We rely on your reports and feedback to make Imprudence better!
Hello dear Imprudents!
We have been informed of a weird bug affecting Imprudence’s ability to accept a new TOS for SecondLife. The SL TOS page is just not loading correctly and some people will either be stuck at the acceptance page or can potentially crash. The developers are aware of the issue and will apply a fix this week that will go both in the latest 1.3.0 branch and 1.4.0 Experimental.
A temporary workaround is simple: use another viewer to accept the TOS, then relog in Imprudence, and everything should be working fine.
PS: You DO NOT need to download Viewer 2.x to do so! Any old viewer will work. We recommend the text based Radegast to login and accept the policy change.
We apologize for that glitch and any inconvenience, and we thank you for your great patience with that matter.
Codie, Community Liaison for Imprudence Viewer
UPDATE: A hotfix is now available for the most recent Experimental release:
McCabe’s computer is on the verge of dying, and desperately needs to be replaced. We need your financial support to make that happen!
Over the past two years, McCabe has been using an ancient, crumbling laptop to develop Imprudence and compile the Windows builds. It takes him several hours to compile Imprudence from scratch, and even if he makes a single change to the source code, it takes over a half hour merely to link the viewer again, the final step of compiling. Obviously, such a long compile time makes it very tedious to test out new changes, which makes the development process difficult.
But, what used to be a nuisance, is now becoming an immediate hazard to Imprudence development. The hard drive on McCabe’s laptop is showing signs of failing, and it could die completely any day now. If that happens, McCabe would be totally out of commission, which would significantly disrupt Imprudence development. McCabe is in charge of compiling the Windows builds, as well as coordinating and assembling the weekly Experimental releases.
We have been reluctant to ask for donations in the past, because we’re not in this for personal gain. But, this is an emergency: we need your financial support to replace McCabe’s computer and keep Imprudence development running smoothly!
You can donate with a credit card or Paypal account using the button below, or send L$ to McCabe Maxsted in Second Life. Any amount you can spare would be a great help. Thank you!
Imprudence Experimental 2010.10.02 is now released! As you will see, not many new features, but an incredible load of patches and fixes for many common issues. More goodies to come next week, of course, but we are hoping this build will be much more stable and polished. Of course this is an Experimental build, if you got any bugs to report, please do so in our feedback forum thread.
Things we would like feedback on:
- About Landmark was causing crashes
- Linden trees appeared white or grey
- Voice disconnect related crashes
- Snapshot related crashes (apart Hires related, we already know about that one)
- Enabled friends chat and keywords highlighting for both IMs and Group IMs.
- Added handler for new OpenSim function “OpenRegionInfo”, more info at http://imprudenceviewer.org/wiki/Opensim_information_needed
- Advanced > Logout now works again.
- Changed ResetFocusOnSelfClick to default to false.
- Show start location on the login screen by default.
- Chat translator ignores non-interesting translations (empty or same as original) that may result from Google. Translate’s language autodetect failure.
- Context translator: default to enabled.
- Changes the search system, so it matches the keyword against name or surname initials.
- Fix: Added safety checks to the snapshot window as well as a few backported changes from Viewer 2.
- Fix: Double-click teleport: Clean up duplicated (and subtly and needlessly different) code. Keep the camera heading in inter-sim double-click teleport in a hackish way, since SL sims give LookAt info that is kind of random in AgentMovementComplete.
- Fix: Default setting for grass/tree type was “Random”, but it’s supposed to be an integer.
- Fix: Added empty indra/cmake/CMakeLists.txt to suppress a CMake 2.8 warning.
- Fix: Ported gSavedSettings changes from Emerald (as well as modifying a few of ours).
- Fix: Converted XUI files to unix line endings, again.
- Fix: Too many bug fixes to the inline translator to list here (thanks Thickbrick).
- Fix: Friendlist not cleared on logout.
- Fix: Crash on logout.
- Fix: Don’t play balance changed ui-sound when relogging into account with different balance.
- VWR-12984: Water flickers and disappears in patches (thanks Aleric).
- SNOW-220: Don’t rely on indexed color extension.
- VWR-14426: Link step fails on Linux when LDFLAGS is set.
- SNOW-86: Dangerous macro leads to possible wrong code.
- #501: Fix for “about landmark” crash when invoking it on a freshly received landmark.
- #513: Attempt to fix white/grey cached trees + grass white (works on Opensim, to be tested in SL).
- #573: FindTut.cmake is missing: tut.h is not searched for.
- #567: install.xml contains Linden Lab “local” sources.
- #565: Building the package/ directory fails for standalone.
- #562: SNOW-422: Imprudence doesn’t compile with g++ 4.4.x
- #561: Optimization flags used during –Type=Debug (linux x86_64)
- #556: SNOW-800: Massively duplicated objects.
- #554: SNOW-623: Add support for boost 1.42
- #553: SNOW-766: Add a ‘printbuilddirs’ command to develop.py.
- #552: VWR-12838: NDOF is assumed to exist, even with –standalone.
- #566: doc/contributions.txt clean up.
- #581: SNOW-796: Clicking ‘Reset to default’ in the Debug Settings floater doesn’t update cached control values.
- #579: SNOW-751: ‘configure’ with cmake 2.8 is extremely slow.
- #578: SNOW-744: scripts/install.py –uninstall does not remove symbolic links.
- #577: SNOW-477: Wrong string raw_file in strings.xml for RAW file.
- #576: SNOW-415: Viewer prints always “WARNING: cleanup: Quitting with pending background tasks”.
- #575: VWR-13040: LLObjectSelection::valid_root_begin() is really the same as LLObjectSelection::root_begin().
- #583: Fix missing “Open” in context menu on notecards in inventory.
- #489: added /LARGEADDRESSAWARE to the Windows linker command line settings.
- #568: reload balance option in the advanced menu. Patch originally from Phoenix. We’ve modified it to support our currency changes, too. (thanks Ansariel Hiller)
- #544: Mac OS X – missing security framework import in weekly keychain support (thanks Caer).
- #413: 1.3 Logout: crash when cancelling currency purchase.
- #390: Logout: snapshot window doesn’t close when logging out.
- #381: using voice causes viewer crash on disconnect/quit.
- #355: More sanity checks in OpenJPEG decodes.